Joan Mury has been Trophy Coordinator since 1996. She says we had 15 trophies that year and gave either rosette ribbons or book awards for categories that lacked trophies. Today we have a total of 27 trophies but still, award some rosettes.
The McTavish Cup, for high aggregate in the fall show, is the Club’s oldest trophy, first presented in 1957. It was donated by Duncan McTavish, the grandson of Dr. Helmcken and great-grandson of Sir James Douglas. Duncan lived on Plowright and was president of the club for six years.
Spring Show Trophies:
- Roy Ogden Smith Cup — High Aggregate
- Vern Archer Memorial Trophy — High Aggregate Flowering Shrub and Tree
- Peggy Paddon Trophy–– High Aggregate Primula & Rock Plants
- Jack Mullin Memorial Trophy–Best Perennial
- Peridots Trophy–-Best in Potted Plants
- Thorsen and Sturmey Trophy–Best in Show
Summer Show Trophies:
- Eleanor Mace Rose Bowl— Most Fragrant Rose
- Roy Ogden Smith Rose Bowl— High Aggregate
- Ruby Creighton Cup–Best Single Rose in Show
- Joan & John Bryant Cup— Best Entry
- VRGC Trophy–High Aggregate
- Peridots Trophy–Best in Potted Plants
- Bev Granger Memorial Cup— Best Perennial
- Babs Watkins Memorial Cup–High Aggregate Vegetable & Fruit
Fall Show Trophies:
- Sheldan Cup (Junior)— High Aggregate Junior
- Armstrong Cup (novice)– High Aggregate divisions C, D, E, F, G, & H by a novice
- Campbell Cup— Best Bloom in Show
- Centennial Cup— High Aggregate Annual Flower
- Creighton Cup— High Aggregate Perennial
- Dunsford Cup (novice) — Best Flower Arrangement
- Fairburn Cup (novice) — High Aggregate Vegetable
- Gordon Trophy— Best Begonia in show
- Hammond Trophy— High Aggregate Decorative
- McTavish Cup— High Aggregate in Show
- Patey Cup— High Aggregate Combined Fruit & Vegetable
- Peridots Trophy— Best in Potted Plants
- Walstrom Cup— Best in Show Vegetable
The record of trophy winners over the years is a long one and will be housed in the View Royal archives, along with descriptions of each trophy compiled by Joan Mury.
Some trophies contain blanks where no show was held. In 2014, both the Summer and Fall shows were cancelled due to a teachers’ strike that left the school unavailable. In 2013, the Fall show was cancelled for the club to participate in the Town of View Royal 25th anniversary.
The Sheldan Cup, the only full-sized junior trophy, was donated in memory of club member Barbara Sheldan who passed away. She was an enthusiastic member whose children participated in the shows. We continue to offer small ‘keeper’ junior trophies, but entries by children are few and far between. Increasing their participation is an ongoing goal for the Club.
An excerpt from Celebrating 70 Years
Compiled by Carole Carver
President 2017, 2021
Co-President 2018 thru 2020
Past President 2022
Newsletter Editor 2011 + 2012
Carole has also volunteered in many situations. She often can be counted on to chair a Garden Show or host the Centerpiece workshop in advance of our Annual Awards Celebration & Christmas Social.
updated Jan. 13, 2022