We continue to feel our way through the challenges this pandemic presents. Our club’s executive supports the belief that we all must do our part to slow the progress of this virus. In 2020 the spring meetings were cancelled, as well as the Spring & Summer Garden Shows. By August we resumed our general meetings via Zoom, where we safely meet virtually.
We also modified the Fall Garden Show & hosted a socially-distant Fall Plant Sale. The learning curve might be challenging but it’s rewarding to find safe ways to connect, learn and share with like-minded people.
As we did last fall, we’re planning more modified Garden Shows, as health rules allow. There will be no public viewing, no tea, and no trophies. The show will be photographed and results will be presented as a slideshow at the next garden club meeting. The focus of the show will be sharing the beauty of our gardens, both inside and out. We invite you to participate …
See more information below …
We hope that everyone will do their part by limiting social contact and observing all instructions from our public health authorities.
The best news is that being out in the garden is safe! 🙂
Wishing you all good health and hoping to see you soon,
President, View Royal Garden Club
Saturday, June 19, 2021
Public Viewing – 1-3 pm
Wheeley Hall @ Esquimalt United Church
500 Admirals Road (entrance on Lyall)
includes entrance to the Flower, Fruit & Vegetable Exhibition,
door prize tickets & refreshments
(BONUS! Plant Sale – free entry)
Accredited BC Judges
Non-members welcome to exhibit
- We will not have a set up table, so to minimize contact and reduce the amount of time spent at the hall, please prepare your exhibits at home and use your own containers or trays. Click here for printable copies of the entry forms. Please prepare your entry forms at home. If you don’t have a printer, we will supply some blank entry forms. Please bring your own pen. Designated working spots at the entrance to the hall will be available to drop off your exhibits.
- To reduce the number of people arriving at the same time, we will stagger the arrival of exhibits.
- For people with surnames from A-F, please come between 9.20 and 9.40 am.
- For people with surnames from G-N, please come between 9.50 and 910.10 am.
- For people with surnames from O-Z please come between 10.20 and 10.40 am.
- Judging will start at 11.00 am. The amount of time for judging will depend on how many exhibits are received but we hope to be finished by 12.30 pm. Once the judging is complete, the exhibits will be photographed. We will contact people via phone or text when they can return to retrieve their exhibits.
- We will be following the Covid protocols of the church hall and will use hand sanitizer, wear masks, take names for contact tracing, and maintain a 6′ distance.
- Please click the revised Show Schedule as there are many changes from previous schedules.
Wheeley Hall will be open for set-up from 6:30-7:30 pm Exhibits may be placed Friday evening after Show Set-Up is complete up to 8pm. The hall opens for placing exhibits at 8:30 am Saturday morning.
Exhibits must be in place NO LATER than 9:45 am. Judging starts at 10 am sharp. Doors will be open for public viewing from 1-3 pm.
Refreshments to be served from 1-2:45 pm.
Door prizes to be drawn frequently throughout the afternoon.
Awards & 50/50 draw at 2:45 pm. Entries to be removed following award presentations,
or at the chair’s discretion.
ROY OGDEN SMITH MEMORIAL TROPHY
high aggregate roses
RUBY CREIGHTON MEMORIAL CUP
best single rose in show
ELEANOR MACE ROSE BOWL
most fragrant rose in show
JOAN & JOHN BRYANT CUP
best rose entry
VIEW ROYAL GARDEN
best in potted plants
best perennial entry
Barbara Jean (BABS) WATKINS
vegetable & fruit
high aggregate for each remaining division:
(Division A B C E F H I J)
INDIVIDUAL JUNIOR TROPHIES
are available for qualifying entries in any J class
Note: Trophies are awarded to members only.
Qualifying non-members will receive rosettes.
- printer friendly Revised Summer Show DIVISIONS 2021 pamphlet
- Guide for Entrants (updated 2019) (the Bible)
- ENTRY FORMS for shows
- VOLUNTEERING for shows
- printable version of Guide to Vegetable and Fruit Numbers
- How To Exhibit
- Tips for Having a Happy Show
- “Best In Show” ribbons
- (past) EXHIBITOR’S HANDBOOK for Vegetables and Fruits
- (past) Show Rules
- printable version of Guide to RHS Daffodil Classification